How to Begin Goal Mapping
Visually uncover the journey in reaching your goals! We all know accomplishing goals is sometimes easier in theory, so let’s touch on helpful methods that will help keep you on-track and use your goal map to the fullest.
How to Use the Goal Map Layout
Make use of the brand new Goal Mapping Inserts and Notebook, now refreshed! Track your goals, your progression, and relevant notes week-by-week. Start by establishing your goal and do not forget to mark the date you start. Then, plan out weekly steps to accomplishing your intention in the goal chart. As you move week-by-week, track your progress in the box grid, along with ideas for the following week, outline your stats, or any other goal-related notes. It is important to set a goal reward (located under the goal chart) so that you always have a reminder of your incentive.
Methods to Try
- Color code items in your goal map. For example, if you use the insert to meal plan, your breakfast items may be highlighted or written in a designated color, and so forth for lunch, snacks, dinner, etc.
- Outline the weeks you’ve finished in an alternate color so that you have an easy reference for which week you are on.
- Highlight your most important notes or stats that go above-and–beyond for visibility and to celebrate your accomplishments!
Use Sticky Note as Extensions
Add either an open sticky note like the Memo Sticky Notes | Refreshed or specifically a habit tracking sticky note like the Arched Habit Tracker Sticky Notes as an extension of your goal map. If you need reminders throughout the day or week to stick to your goal, write them on your memo sticky and keep it at the forefront of your planner or workspace. If you have daily habits that contribute to your weekly goals, use the habit tracker to keep a visual record of how much progress you’ve made throughout the week. Then, don’t forget to transfer your notes from the stickies onto your goal mapping notes.
- Goals towards physical or mental wellness including: workout activities, mindfulness exercises, stat goals, tracking of medication/vitamin intake, nutritional goals.
- Prepare your weekly meal plans by: recording the groceries/ingredients needed for each week, cost, which meals are planned for each week, making a goal to limit eating out, and trying a new recipe at least once a week.
- Track the household chores through: noting who is assigned to what, which chores need to be accomplished weekly, any seasonal chores that can be assigned to a specific week, household supplies that need to be purchased, and/or create a large home project step-by-step per week.
Mark how many pages/chapters/books you plan to read each week, note any thoughts you have about each weekly session, include goals to have a “takeaway” from each read. Use with the Reading Log Inserts.
Plan out your coursework schedule for each week, note grade goals, plan out a major essay (reading, outline, draft, peer edit, final) per week, and an outline for group project tasks.
- Outline a pet training plan, such as behavioral training, tricks, and/or socialization training. Note the incentives used for the pet (don’t forget to track what works and what doesn’t!), hindrances found, mood, and progress.
- Especially recommended for those with shortened memory or attention spans! Plan out everyday, recurring tasks that you typically forget (sweeping, journaling, tidying bed, taking medication, switching laundry). Here’s the tricky part: You’ll then need to make a point each day/week to check your goal map and mark off when your recurring tasks have been accomplished. This will help you set a habit, and be able to view the progress you made that would have otherwise been forgotten. It’s also useful as a resource that holds all of your recurring tasks so that you don’t need to remember each and every one!
Goal mapping is fun – and the journey there can be too! Take charge of your goals every step of the way by utilizing your Goal Mapping Insert or Notebook to the fullest.
Still having trouble applying goal tracking in your planning? Schedule a Planner Consultation with one of our experts for one-on-one professional assistance!